Plains Memorial Hospital History
The first hospital in Castro County was established in 1933 by Dr. Mayes Miller. It was privately owned and consisted of 10 beds and was located on the second floor of the First State Bank. A non-profit cooperative board purchased the hospital in 1945 and the hospital was officially named Plains Memorial.
The hospital was moved from the second floor downtown location to old army barracks located just east of the current hospital location. In 1963 Castro County Hospital District was established by the Texas legislature. Through a bond election and the use of Hill-Burton funds, Plains Memorial Hospital was built
in its current location also in 1963.
Through the years hospital improvements have been made and services added to continually improve the healthcare services offered to our patients. In 2004 Plains Memorial Hospital was designated as a Critical Access Hospital. This designation notes how “critical” it is for rural communities like ours to have access
to quality healthcare.
Licensed by the Texas Department of Health, Plains Memorial Hospital is a 25-bed Critical Access Hospital dedicated to providing exceptional healthcare services with a team of skilled professionals in a warm and comfortable setting using advanced technology and state of the art equipment.